Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /FoodLetter: Summer squash pancakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /FoodLetter: Summer squash pancakes

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:03 pm

Summer squash pancakes

We continue awash in midsummer garden bounty around this household, and are just about reaching that happy if slightly frustrating point where you start running out of ideas for exciting new ways to prepare it. Anybody want some tomatoes or summer squash?

Although zucchini is the stereotypical summer overload poster child, we have none of it in our garden. For some odd reason, my long-suffering bride is convinced that it doesn't hold a candle to yellow summer squash for flavor or texture.

I can't discern much difference, frankly, and left to my own devices would use both for the pretty contrast of green and yellow colors, but hey, I'm easy to get along with, so it's all summer squash for us, and we're picking it by the bucketful. Are you <i>sure</i> you wouldn't like some? We've got it to spare.

While it lasts, though, I'm taking full advantage, and have fashioned quite a few different dishes from it in an effort to keep from getting bored. Sauteeing slices (or, from larger squash, quartered slices) in olive oil until the insides are creamy and the edges crispy brown is a fine approach, and the results can be tossed with pasta and barely heated fresh tomato chunks to make a memorable light spaghetti dinner.

Good as it was, though, after a few days I was ready to try something else, and out of the blue popped an idea that was brilliant if I do say so myself: Why not make summer squash <i>pancakes</i>, following a procedure similar to potato pancakes but yielding a lighter result? Grate squash and onions, judiciously add some flour for filler and cornmeal for flavor and crunch, and just a dash of the South Asian flavors of cumin and curry to kick up the flavor. Drop 'em in a hot skillet, quickly brown on both sides, and we'd be good to go.

And so it was: The recipe fell together just right on the first try, and the results were good enough to make the centerpiece of a meatless summer dinner. (Of course they would also work just fine as a side dish to a more ambitious meal.)

INGREDIENTS: (Makes about a dozen small pancakes)

3 to 6 small to medium yellow summer squash or zucchini (courgettes) or a combination, enough to make about 2 cups (480g) when grated
1/2 medium sweet yellow or white onion, 1/2 cup grated
1 egg
4 level tablespoons (60g) all-purpose flour
4 level tablespoons cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon (3g) sea salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
1-2 large cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil

PROCEDURE:

1. Peel the slightly hard outer skin from the summer squash if you wish. Zucchini shouldn't require peeling. Using the large hole side of a box grater or equivalent, grate all the squash into a large strainer or colander lined with a cloth dish towel. When it's all grated, lift the towel by the corners and close it at the top like an old-fashioned hobo's sack holding the goods; twist tightly until you've squeezed out as much of the liquid as you can. Put the dried grated vegetables into a large bowl.

2. Peel and grate the onion and add the grated onion to the grated squash. Stir in the egg, then the flour and cornmeal, and finally the salt, pepper and spices. (The cumin and curry are optional, but I like them and think they add a little flavor excitement to the finished dish.)

3. Peel and smash the garlic cloves and put them and the olive oil in a large, flat skillet (I like to use nonstick for pancakes). Place over high heat until the garlic sizzles.

4. Drop heaping tablespoons of the squash batter into the pan, gently nudging them into neat round shapes if you're obsessive. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook them on one side for about two minutes or until browned (the cakes should break loose from the pan and slide around freely when they reach this point); flip them carefully and cook the other side for about two minutes. If you need to cook them in batches, keep the finished pancakes on plates in a warm oven.

5. Serve immediately, as a vegetable side dish or, if you like, as the centerpiece for a light vegetarian summer dinner with fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh slaw, and crusty bread or rolls.

<B>MATCHING WINE:</B> Served with a meat or fish course, I'd pick a wine to go with the main dish. As the centerpiece of a meatless dinner, they call for a dry white and would serve well with a wide variety of styles. They were fine with a simple white Burgundy, <b>Moillard 2005 "Brecot" Mâcon Villages</b>.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Paul Noga

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:31 pm

Re: RCP /FoodLetter: Summer squash pancakes

by Paul Noga » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:23 am

I've only eaten, and never made, potato pancakes, but have made other recipes where salt has been used to remove excess water. Given the pancakes should be crispy, might sprinkling the grated squash with salt (and omitting it later) help to remove more liquid, resulting in a crisper pancake?

P.S. Enjoyed seeing you on the Bobby Flay hot brown throwdown!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:44 am

Robin,

Many thanks for the memory jog. Your post has reminded me of many similar things my family did with the summer bounty.
I will definitely try your rendition.
I have been trying to use my zucchini blossoms before they mature and chopped blossom with seasoning, grated parm/romano done in your manner will be great. My mother did many summer vegetables like this - Romano beans, squash, cauliflower, broccoli. It is a great way to experiment with flavors. Thanks
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:31 pm

Robin, I was surprised to read that the skin of your yellow squash is slightly hard. Are those the crook neck variety? Any that I've ever bought--or grown--have been quite tender, no harder than zucchini anyway and definitely not in need of peeling.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Paul Noga wrote:I've only eaten, and never made, potato pancakes, but have made other recipes where salt has been used to remove excess water. Given the pancakes should be crispy, might sprinkling the grated squash with salt (and omitting it later) help to remove more liquid, resulting in a crisper pancake?

P.S. Enjoyed seeing you on the Bobby Flay hot brown throwdown!

Paul, I just love potato pancakes, which is what put this one into my head. Your idea about extracting more water sounds workable, but I think I probably wouldn't bother with it. Mostly, excess moisture wasn't really an issue here ... the batter was plenty thick, not at all runny. A little bit of liquid did turn up on the bottom of the bowl, but I just spooned out the batter around it. I think I might worry just a bit that taking extreme measures to extract additional liquid might not pay benefits in flavor. Bottom line, though, it just wasn't a problem.

I'm amazed how many people saw the Flay gig! I probably shouldn't admit this, but I almost never watch Throwdown, so I just assumed that nobody else does, either. ;)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:43 pm

Christina, I've had some absolutely wonderful dishes using squash blossoms, including a wonderful cheese-stuffed blossom in Provence on the BuckoTour, in which Bucko ragged on me for eating flowers while he was chowing down on foie gras. I didn't care. I loved that stuff!

I really ought to pick some blossoms and try a dish with them this summer ... it's something I often think about doing but rarely get around to. Hmmm.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin, I was surprised to read that the skin of your yellow squash is slightly hard. Are those the crook neck variety? Any that I've ever bought--or grown--have been quite tender, no harder than zucchini anyway and definitely not in need of peeling.

This is really funny! :D I had never peeled yellow squash in my life, but Mary caught me cooking unpeeled ones earlier this summer and was horrified. Apparently she was brought up peeling them and believes the peels are inedible. The fact that we've been eating them that way for years and she didn't even notice did not console her.

Since I'm easy-going, mostly, I said, "Okay," and I've been lightly peeling them ever since. In fairness, they do have a very thin hard skin that's more noticeable than zucchini, and as they get bigger, they get a little lumpy. But in my mind, it cooks out and tastes fine, so I'm really just peeling them to be kind to my bride.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:58 pm

If they're picked young and on the green side--yellow crooked neck is my favorite squash, and I cannot pass them up if they're smaller and have green blushes on them, the skin is as tender as zucchini. If left on the vine too long, yes it hardens--after all, it's a gourd!

Story time: when I was a kid, a wild hillside up the street from us was covered with gourd vines. The vegetable they produced was round, light green and approximately baseball sized. Obsessed with food even then, and a lover of all things squash, I kept asking my mom to cook one "just to see". But she was firm in her belief that these were not edible, about which she's as likely to have been right as wrong. We had a banana tree in our backyard whose tiny, wonderful smelling fruit she wouldn't let us eat either. If it wasn't from the supermarket, she wouldn't take a chance.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:45 pm

Jenise wrote:The vegetable they produced was round, light green and approximately baseball sized.

There is a gourd that grows wild in the mountains here that fits that description exactly called "horse gourd" by the chef at my workplace. She says her grandparents told her it was quite poisonous, not just to horses but to humans too.

Her family has lived here for more than 500 years, and her elderly relatives are a storehouse of information on medicinal plants etc.

Might be good your mom didn't cave in to you!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Jenise wrote:The vegetable they produced was round, light green and approximately baseball sized.

Might be good your mom didn't cave in to you!

No doubt! And I did listen--after poisoning myself at age 6 with oleander pods because they looked like green beans, I took no chances.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:08 pm

Squash or zucchini, shredded or in small sticks, along with pieces of scallion, in a pancake batter, is a classic Korean specialty, delicious with dipping sauces. (A favorite at a short-lived Korean restaurant in Berkeley 20 years back.)

The New York Times Wednesday food section ran a recipe article on these squash pancakes a few months ago, suggesting them as a meatless main course, and I made some (with a couple of kinds of squash) -- very good (the restaurant's were better though).