Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Peaches

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Peaches

by Alan Wolfe » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:07 am

I had my first peach of the season today. It was labeled "California Summerwhite" and it was a classic commercial peach. Nearly white skin blushed with pink, nearly fuzzless, without blemish or bruise and lovely to look at. Otherwise dry, fibrous, flavor only marginally identifiable as peach. What a disappointment. In the future, I think I'm going to stick to farmer's markets and such where I can buy a single peach to taste before buying more.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Peaches

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:15 am

Alan Wolfe wrote:I had my first peach of the season today. It was labeled "California Summerwhite" and it was a classic commercial peach. Nearly white skin blushed with pink, nearly fuzzless, without blemish or bruise and lovely to look at. Otherwise dry, fibrous, flavor only marginally identifiable as peach. What a disappointment. In the future, I think I'm going to stick to farmer's markets and such where I can buy a single peach to taste before buying more.

This has been a very poor peach season, Alan, and I gather it's because of the freak April freeze that hit most of the East. The Kentucky and Indiana peach crops were devastated, and even farther south it wasn't great. We've had some South Carolina and Georgia peaches that were okay, but the season is about over now.

You surely didn't really expect to find greatness in a California peach shipped to West Virginia, I hope!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:39 am

Mmmmm, they're terrific. Mackinaws. Wanna suck the pit?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Many people are shocked to learn that there are many peach orchards on the Southern shore of Lake Ontario. They usually don't ripen until early September. My favorite is a Red Haven. When you get them tree ripened from the local stands, they become what I like to call "Elbow Peaches" - when you bite into it, the juice runs down your arm and drips off your elbow. :P
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:05 pm

While our peach season hasn't been great (hasn't been bad, either) I feel fortunate to live near the Texas Hill Country. I firmly believe that we produce some of the best peaches in the world. Even in a really bad year you can get at least one that epitomizes the peach sensation.

rwj
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:24 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Many people are shocked to learn that there are many peach orchards on the Southern shore of Lake Ontario. They usually don't ripen until early September. My favorite is a Red Haven. When you get them tree ripened from the local stands, they become what I like to call "Elbow Peaches" - when you bite into it, the juice runs down your arm and drips off your elbow. :P

Howie, I've been successful growing peaches here at Keuka Lake--it's difficult, but possible. My peaches are incredibly juicy and meaty. They don't look like contest winners, though, but I don't grow them to look at them.

I say the same about the figs I grow and am eating right now!

We die-hards have our ways...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:16 pm

My tomato lady had an unexpected bounty of superb peaches this weekend. No problem here, maybe the second best I've ever had.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Thomas wrote:Howie, I've been successful growing peaches here at Keuka Lake--it's difficult, but possible. My peaches are incredibly juicy and meaty. They don't look like contest winners, though, but I don't grow them to look at them.

I say the same about the figs I grow and am eating right now!

We die-hards have our ways...

Thomas - here is a quote from
"The West", a PBS Special by Ken Burns
Youngstown, New York.....William Swain had found no gold in California, and had gone home and started farming again, as if he'd never been away. He and his wife Sabrina had three more children, and Swain eventually became the biggest peach grower in Niagara County, New York.

But in the evenings on his farm, when the work was done, he never tired of telling his wife, and his children and grandchildren, about the great adventures he had had crossing the country when it and he had both been young.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:25 pm

Actually saw some local peaches in the farmer's market last Thrusday; but couldn't smell them, so didn't buy. Something I learned from my Georgia raised wife.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:36 pm

We've had some lovely peaches this year, both from the Farmer's Market and the grocery store. I keep meaning to make peach ice cream, which is one of my very favorite foods ever, but the peaches disappear from the bowl on the table too fast!
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:We've had some lovely peaches this year, both from the Farmer's Market and the grocery store. I keep meaning to make peach ice cream, which is one of my very favorite foods ever, but the peaches disappear from the bowl on the table too fast!

If you do have some left over deliciously flavoured peaches - you should try the Chilled Peach Soup recipe from the recently discussed (in the perfect pairings thread), Wine Lovers Cookbook by Sid Goldstein with recipe testing by Hoke. This is a divine soup made with wine, orange juice, yoghurt and spices. I used unoaked chardonnay in the soup so matched the soup to Chardonnay and it worked with both unoaked and oaked. Can hardly wait for our peach season next Feb to make this again.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:58 am

Wow - I've head nothing but good luck with all the stone fruit I've purchased this year. I don't think I've come across a bad one yet.

They've been sweet and loaded with juice.

I dread the end of the season.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:40 am

Peaches from the farmer's markets in central Maryland have been outstanding this year - the best I can remember. The past many years have been so disappointing.
Speaking of peaches, has anyone grilled in their Weber? How'd they turn out and how did you do it?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:01 am

Jon Peterson wrote:Speaking of peaches, has anyone grilled in their Weber? How'd they turn out and how did you do it?

I love grilled peaches! I take a minimalist (read "lazy") approach. I simply slice them in half lengthwise, brush with a little balsamic and lemon juice, and throw them on the grill. I turn once after about 4-5 minutes. Cook for another couple minutes and voila!

Oh, I only have a little tiny Weber, not a gas grill.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote:Speaking of peaches, has anyone grilled in their Weber? How'd they turn out and how did you do it?

I love grilled peaches! I take a minimalist (read "lazy") approach. I simply slice them in half lengthwise, brush with a little balsamic and lemon juice, and throw them on the grill. I turn once after about 4-5 minutes. Cook for another couple minutes and voila!

Oh, I only have a little tiny Weber, not a gas grill.

Next, stuff the pit-hole with a piece of brie and keep the peach warm until the brie is slightly melted. Top with an amaretto cookie and drizzle with warm blueberry caramel sauce. Yum!

rwj
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:26 pm

Had a great salad last week at Taverna Santi in Geyserville. Lots and lots of fresh greens, with some red rocket mixed in for bittnerness, a very light vinaigrette, topped with sliced and char-grilled fresh peaches. Just enough char to tell it was there, and just enough caramelizing of the peach sugars on the outside to give it variation of flavors.

It was incredibly good.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:07 pm

OK, Robert and Cynthia - I'm sold. I'm going to grill some peaches tonight.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:10 pm

Hoke wrote:Had a great salad last week at Taverna Santi in Geyserville. Lots and lots of fresh greens, with some red rocket mixed in for bittnerness, a very light vinaigrette, topped with sliced and char-grilled fresh peaches. Just enough char to tell it was there, and just enough caramelizing of the peach sugars on the outside to give it variation of flavors.

It was incredibly good.

Had one like that a few years ago at EOS in the city. LOVED IT. It was particularly good with a viognier by the glass--a wine I don't normally care for, but the sommelier made the right case for the match, and he was spot-on.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:56 pm

Jenise wrote:
Hoke wrote:Had a great salad last week at Taverna Santi in Geyserville. Lots and lots of fresh greens, with some red rocket mixed in for bittnerness, a very light vinaigrette, topped with sliced and char-grilled fresh peaches. Just enough char to tell it was there, and just enough caramelizing of the peach sugars on the outside to give it variation of flavors.

It was incredibly good.

Had one like that a few years ago at EOS in the city. LOVED IT. It was particularly good with a viognier by the glass--a wine I don't normally care for, but the sommelier made the right case for the match, and he was spot-on.

That's an interesting statement about the peaches and Viognier combo, Jenise---because Bob Blue, the Bonterra winemaker likes to tell a story to illustrate how he makes his Viognier. He uses the analogy of a fresh-picked ripe peach, getting people to imagine that flavor. Then he adds just a drop of fresh cream, explaining that the addition doesn't detract from the freshness of the peach fruit, but adds a touch of richness and creaminess. But too much cream and it drowns the peach flavors rather than enhancing them or adding complexity to them.

And that's how he sees his Viognier, because he adds just a light touch of French oak...not too much, always used barrels, and then only a small portion of the blend...to add that touch of cream to his Viognier. And he loves to serve Viognier with grilled peaches too. (Readers are not to presume from the aforesaid that the Viognier is sweet, a la RS; it isn't.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:45 pm

(Readers are not to presume from the aforesaid that the Viognier is sweet, a la RS; it isn't.)

Correct, and neither was what I had. The peach was also sprinkled with a Japanese pepper blend, which made it even more exotic, and there was a bit of fruity sweetness to the salad dressing--maybe raspberry essensce--that boosted the match.

Just talking about it makes my mouth water. How are the peaches in California this year, Hoke?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:55 pm

The peaches from the farmer's market in Bowie, MD are awesome! (wiping chin) :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:45 pm

The peaches have been great---although I only recently started eating them seriously as I have been focusing on the Rainier Cherries. But now we're into the larger stonefruits.

And, as always, apples.

My wife has been scarfing plums this year like they're going out of style.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:58 pm

Robert J. wrote:Next, stuff the pit-hole with a piece of brie and keep the peach warm until the brie is slightly melted. Top with an amaretto cookie and drizzle with warm blueberry caramel sauce. Yum!

You are a decadent man, Robert J! Yum indeed!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:43 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Next, stuff the pit-hole with a piece of brie and keep the peach warm until the brie is slightly melted. Top with an amaretto cookie and drizzle with warm blueberry caramel sauce. Yum!

You are a decadent man, Robert J! Yum indeed!

Why, thank you, my dear. 8)

rwj
Next