Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Latest grocery store tale

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Latest grocery store tale

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:24 pm

I purchased two bottles of Clos du Bois Cab Sav from a display that had a large sign: $9.99 750 ml with the $2.00 coupon [hanging on the necks], reg. price $13.99.

The math didn't line up, but the $9.99 was in a huge font. Of course, even with the coupon, they rang up as $11.99. I took the young bagger and showed her the display.

She was a bit confused and held the bottle up to the Chardonnays and Zins. "The sale was for 750 ml bottles," she said. "This one's a different size."

"No, it isn't," I said. "The next size is a 1.5 liter." (Obviously, she was confused because of the different varietal shapes of bottles.)

After making enough noise, I finally got them for $9.99 each. Yes!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Latest grocery store tale

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:55 pm

And for all that Larry, you now have to write a tasting note on the first one you open. You, a professional writer it should be a doozy of a tasting note. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Latest grocery store tale

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:41 am

I won't be drinking them for a while. They are the basis of a bet I made with a friend to quit his smoking, which he started up "temporarily" for a week and a half after 27 years.