Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

When to harvest tomatoes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

When to harvest tomatoes

by Maria Samms » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:23 pm

As I have mentioned in some other posts, my neighbor has been kind enough to give me 3 heirloom tomato plants. All of them have several nice green tomatoes on them. The biggest plant, however, also contains a very large and nearly red tomato. Do I pick it now, or let it hang on the plant until it is all red? I have never grown tomato plants before...any advice would be appreciated!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: When to harvest tomatoes

by Thomas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:19 pm

Maria,

Since there's plenty of time left to summer, let it hang until ripe.

In my view, you should pick tomatoes before they ripen under two circumstances: the season has run out and there still are unripened ones out there; it was a rainy, crummy season and you want a tomato before it bursts.
Green tomatoes will ripen on a counter with sun exposure and in a paper bag, but they never are as good as fresh off the vine.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: When to harvest tomatoes

by Christina Georgina » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:38 pm

Depends on what I want to use them for. If I am going to cook them I wait till they are dead ripe and soft. If not cooked I prefer the higher acid tang from an under ripe, yellowish-red firm tomato.
Mamma Mia !