The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I`m still hooked on Muscadet!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: I`m still hooked on Muscadet!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:16 am

Nigel writes.....Bob I got the 2005 Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie, Château l'Oiselinière de la Ramée, (Chéreau-Carré)in my last order from the Wine Society here in the UK and the first bottle was delicious.

Just opened the `05 Oiseliniere Grand Fief, the nose is very closed up, maybe open tomorrow as half bottle left. Delicious however with good creamy weight.
I was amazed a while back to see on cellar-tracker that the `96 was still drinking very well. Hard to imagine, wish I had the stamina to wait ten years to see how this `05 will turn out!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 am

WTN: `05 Muscadet Grand Fief de la Cormeraie, Chereau-Gunther.

Yup, even more hooked on Muscadet!! This wine was consumed with herbed garlic shrimp in lemon parsley butter. $26 Cdn, good natural cork, 12% alc.
It is hard to keep track of the Chereau-Carre family out there in the Loire, who has a family tree?!!

Color. Pale hue, light straw, oh so clear.

Nose. This was pretty closed up, but managed to find some citrus lime fruit, minerals, "wet stones" from across the table". Apple on day 2.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry was dryish, not too austere a style, good weight, creamy. There was a nice structure to this wine, fresh and vibrant. Fellow tasters wondered about "enough acidity?" and I wonder too. I am generally used to more saline character.
Tad riper on day 2, best to serve at cellar temperature I think. Nice wine here.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:55 pm

Nigel Groundwater wrote:Bob I got the 2005 Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie, Château l'Oiselinière de la Ramée, (Chéreau-Carré)in my last order from the Wine Society here in the UK and the first bottle was delicious.

Not quite as delicious as the 2005 Eric Morgat, Savennières, L'Enclos, 2005 bought in the same order but was much less expensive at £8.25 [the 06 is also available at £7.95]. The Savennières was £13.95 but has just been increased to £16.50 due to the shrinkage of the £ versus the Euro.

Guy Brossard's Domaine de L'Ecu and Pierre Luneau-Papin's wines are my other favourite Muscadets but the l'Oiselinière is another superb QPR and IMO right up there.

Nigel, have just seen the `07 Ramee on the shelf downtown. Have you had a chance to taste?
Am stocking up on some Perraud after an in-store tasting. Not a name well-known out there yet I believe?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:03 am

Very good TN and Musky facts from our leader, Chris Kissick!!

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/weekend/pe ... on05.shtml

I know that Pepiere has some big fans here on this forum.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Luneau-Papin has arrived in Calgary so thought I would check our normal source of info.....>

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingsfo ... 2009.shtml

I was gifted the Pierre Luneau-Papin Muscadet Sèvre et Maine sur lie Excelsior 2002 when in London. Sadly it was corked when opened with great expectations.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:38 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Luneau-Papin has arrived in Calgary so thought I would check our normal source of info.....>

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingsfo ... 2009.shtml

I was gifted the Pierre Luneau-Papin Muscadet Sèvre et Maine sur lie Excelsior 2002 when in London. Sadly it was corked when opened with great expectations.

That is a crying shame, Bob. I had the '02 Clos des Noëlles "Excelsior" (is there a Semper there? I can't recall) back in Feb and it was a brilliant wine, precise and rich at the same time. If you've had the '05 Ollivier Granite de Clisson, it's a similar sensation, if from a more aged perspective.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:18 am

We are finding more Granite here, so cannot complain. Not sure if all the producers we are seeing are top notch though.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Bob, I had a change to go to a Loire tasting way back in October in Boston. There were some ‘06’s but most of them were 07 and 08. The nice thing about these wines (which were all sub $35,…expect for the Quartes Des Charmes) were the nervous acidity that were present in most and for the Muscadets, a nice typical saltiness. There were a lot of wines (100+) so please forgive my shorter notes (posting on Muscadet only but there were many Loire wines that I tried that day)

2008 Domaine de la Chauviniere Muscadet Sevre et Maine, very clean good solid nose, grapefruit and minerals, on palate, much the same, nice acidity, slightly salty.

2007 Remy Pannier Muscadet Sevre et Maine – Citrusy, peachy nose, good mouth feel a bit lacking in the mineral department, slightly salty, but nice acidity. A bit discombolutated right now.

2008 Domaine de la Quilla Muscadet Sevre et Maine – reserved, slightly salty, good structure and nice long finish.

2008 Domaine de la Louvetrie Muscadet, nose and palate are rather dense, full, slightly salty

2008 Chateau de Touche Muscadet, good solid nose but slightly more tart than I’d like
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:13 pm

WTN: `07 Muscadet Domaine Pierre de la Grange Luneau-Papin.

Many Loire-heads (and others) will know the name Luneau-Papin so imagine my delight when I heard that Metrovino in Calgary was carrying the `07 vintage. "I will pick some up on my next visit city" I told the store.

Well-soaked cork, $18 Cdn, 12% alc, sur-lie.

Color. Medium straw, no green.

Nose. Starts out tad reticent but as it warms opens nicely. Sea-shells, minerally and hint of citrus. Unmistakable, wonder about the VV and the d`Or and wonder if we will ever see in Alberta?

Palate. Good firm acidity, dry, excellent structure, clean and fresh. Classic with apple and unripe pear (no white stone-fruit). Wonderful salinity, smooth lengthy finish. It does not get better than this!

Matched well with pork cutlet, grilled shrimp and a not-too-spicy Thai noodle salad.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `07 Muscadet Domaine Pierre de la Grange Luneau-Papin....It does not get better than this!

That's the spirit! Sounds like you're having fun.

Although technically-speaking, since this is an 'entry-level' cuvee, some might say it does get better.

But who cares when you're having fun.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:21 pm

You know me forumites, I am always the first to bring you up to date on Musky thoughts from the Wine Doctor! This time thoughts on that dreaded word "terroir".

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/weekend/he ... in09.shtml
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:29 pm

FWIW, the pronunciation is "Meuhs-kah-DAY", with the first syllable pronounced as in "music". I've checked this with several Frenchmen/women. And I agree that it is definitely one of the world's most under appreciated and least known wines.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:45 pm

WTN: `09 Chereau-Carre Ch de l`Oiseliniere de la Ramee.

I only found out yesterday that new vintage has arrived here in Alberta so called store to see how many bottles on the shelf. "Enough, come tomorrow, we will have a bottle open".

12% alc, $18 Cdn. Apple, grapey nose, floral, " wet stones..melon" thought my driver!
Creamy on palate, excellent length, crisp refreshing acidity, great balance. This will age nicely as some here recommend. 3 bottles less on the shelf!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Hooked but scratching my head after a rather non-descript effort from Ferraud, Domaine de la Vinconniere. Mind you, his previous offerings did not impress me too much either.

Laurent-Perraud Granite de Clisson 2006 was cellared for 2 yrs. 12.5%alc, cost was around $22 Cdn. Good natural cork, opened for an hour. Color was a light gold, first sign of trouble eh.
Nose started to come around somewhat after an hour but was a real mish mash of the usual aromatics one thinks of with Muscadet. Rather bland on the palate with few moments of excitement! Have to wonder about an off-bottle here, cannot get it right all the time I guess.
"Think we should have opened a Luneau-Papin" from across the table, my in-house PO!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:49 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Hooked but scratching my head after a rather non-descript effort from Ferraud, Domaine de la Vinconniere. Mind you, his previous offerings did not impress me too much either.

Laurent-Perraud Granite de Clisson 2006 was cellared for 2 yrs. 12.5%alc, cost was around $22 Cdn. Good natural cork, opened for an hour. Color was a light gold, first sign of trouble eh.
Nose started to come around somewhat after an hour but was a real mish mash of the usual aromatics one thinks of with Muscadet. Rather bland on the palate with few moments of excitement! Have to wonder about an off-bottle here, cannot get it right all the time I guess.
"Think we should have opened a Luneau-Papin" from across the table, my in-house PO!

Not a producer I'm familiar with, Bob, but you can't fault the vineyard. '06 wasn't my favorite year, either, but the Usual Suspects did all right in it. Coincidentally, we just finished a bottle of the '09 Luneau-Papin Pierre de la Grange, which I liked considerably better than I did at the Dressner tasting in March.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks Mark, found the `09 L-P in Calgary last month.

Last night I opened the `01 Domaine du Haut Bourg Cotes de Grandlieu Muscadet. 7 yrs on the lees, cheap at $22 eh.The color was amazing, a light straw, terrific aromatics and singing along nicely on the palate with a very firm finish still. Aged Muscadet does not get better than this!

Link to the `00 vintage....>

http://hautbourg.free.fr/les%20vins/200 ... NGLAIS.htm

Interestingly, one problem I always have is color description! I go from straw to yellow to gold. I see the `00 is "gold" whereas my `01 was quite a pale color.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thanks Mark, found the `09 L-P in Calgary last month.

Last night I opened the `01 Domaine du Haut Bourg Cotes de Grandlieu Muscadet. 7 yrs on the lees, cheap at $22 eh.The color was amazing, a light straw, terrific aromatics and singing along nicely on the palate with a very firm finish still. Aged Muscadet does not get better than this!

Link to the `00 vintage....>

http://hautbourg.free.fr/les%20vins/200 ... NGLAIS.htm

Interestingly, one problem I always have is color description! I go from straw to yellow to gold. I see the `00 is "gold" whereas my `01 was quite a pale color.

I'm very envious, Bob. I don't know where to find mature Muscadet like that over here.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:02 am

Mark over on UK forum is posting on Haut-Bourg too Tim. Maybe some in your area?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:20 am

Tim York wrote:
I'm very envious, Bob. I don't know where to find mature Muscadet like that over here.

Rahsaan told me of a shop in London with a good collection of older Muscadet, which he backed up with a bottle of '97 Luneau-Papin Le L d'Or in 2006. If he reads this, perhaps he can recall the name of the shop.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Tim York wrote:

Rahsaan told me of a shop in London with a good collection of older Muscadet, which he backed up with a bottle of '97 Luneau-Papin Le L d'Or in 2006. If he reads this, perhaps he can recall the name of the shop.

Mark Lipton

RSJ (http://www.rsj.uk.com/rsjretailintro.htm). As it happens, I was in London last week and tried to buy some wine from them but the guy who manages the retail end (it's a restaurant) was on holiday so I had to look elsewhere.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Redwinger wrote:A local shop just received a shipment of 2005 Domaine du Millaud Muscadet. I had never heard of this producer until I sampled a bit of this wine with the "importer" in August. I thought it to be a worthy competitor with Pepiere which is not distributed locally. Hopefully the sample bottle is represenative of the entire lot. Probably not widely distributed, so this post will be of little benefit to most. ~ $10 (US)
BP

Winger, I just happen to have some entry level Pepiere in the basement. If we can find opportunity to meet up, I will bring a bottle for you to compare.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:53 pm

I have always been impressed with the wine prices that RSJ charges. The restaurant is close to the Royal Festival Hall so a great meal and wines before Mahler!!
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:36 pm

I may have posted this on another forum, but I can't remember, and this seems appropriate, so...
http://www.winemule.com/2011/04/new-wave-aged-muscadet.html
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Good to see someone else linking us the the good doctor! My Granite experience earlier this year, a wine from Ferraud, was not too memorable, groan.
PreviousNext