The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Neat/New UPS Service.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Neat/New UPS Service.....

by TomHill » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm

I generally have nary a problem w/ my FedEx/UPS wine shipments, even though I'm not at home much of the day. My FedEx guy just flips upen my garage door, slips the boxes inside, scribbles down a sig, and off he goes. My UPS guy would just stack it on my front porch, scribble down a sig, and off he'd go. All worked just fine.

Alas, my UPS guy retired a few weeks ago. I've not been able to convince his new replacement to bend the rules & just drop it on my porch. So I've been having to hang out more at home when I have a UPS shipment incoming.

So, last week, on my UPS Quantuum View e-mail, I noticed the notice had changed and there was a "Follow My Delivery" button at the bottom. So I clicked on it and up popped a window in my browser that indicated the status of the delivery. On the day it was "Out For Delivery", it showed a GoogleMaps of WhiteRock w/ a house icon at my residence and a truck icon of the delivery vehicle, updated in real time.

So I could watch the route as he was doing his deliveries, as he drove into WhiteRock, ripped down the hwy behind my house and over into PajaritoAcres several miles away where he was dropping off packages. So I just got into my car, headed over to where the truck icon was indicated in PajaritoAcres, flagged him down has he drove down MontereyDrive S, and picked up my Arnot-Roberts package right there on the road. Kinda neat I thought.

So looks like a new UPS feature that makes my life a whole lot simpler. Beats a long drive to SantaFe to pickup a "hold at station". Since WhiteRock is a small/spread-out village, it works fine. Not sure how this'd work in a more urban environment, though.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Neat/New UPS Service.....

by Jenise » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:59 pm

We've flagged down delivery trucks too, and in fact been unsuccessful sometimes at finding the guy once we got ourselves turned around to give chase. Am definitely going to stare hard at my next shipment notification. Thanks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Cool. I'm very happy that I can just always send stuff to my office. But maybe one day I'll retire and this could be handy.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:18 pm

That "track the delivery truck" service would have worked well for me. I had almost total flex time and could materialize at home to receive a delivery at any time--if I knew when it was coming. I couldn't tolerate having to be home all day awaiting the delivery. I have my wine shipments sent to the FedEx office at Manchester Airport--about 15 minutes away. I can see that wouldn't work out if you live a significant distance from the local FedEx office, though.

Does UPS offer a "hold at UPS office for pickup" option? Last time I looked, they didn't.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:10 pm

I use hold for pickup, since the UPS depot is 1 mile from work.
Decisions are made by those who show up