The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hawaiian Punch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Hawaiian Punch

by Jenise » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Right now I'm sitting under a palm tree drinking a 2014 Guigal Gigondas. Not exemplary as far as Rhone Grenaches go but in terms of what you can buy on this island for $26, not bad. Pomegranate, strawberry, orange peel and black pepper with just a touch of leather, and seeming as mature as you'd want it to get.

Last night at dinner, wanting a pinot with my roasted hamachi, I ordered a 2016 Austerity (Monterey) because the only other option was Meomi. Came from the kitchen not just room temp but very warm to the touch with glasses straight from the freezer. Does anything say trouble more than that? Still, as the menu was basically mass-appeal supermarket stuff, we allowed them to pour and suffered through a wine redolent with the stinky ripeness fairly typical of cheap Monterey pinots, at least the couple I've had. Fruit reminds of cactus pear. Couldn't tell quality from custody. However, dining on the beach with my feet in the sand while knowing it's 20F at home and snowing? Wouldn't trade.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Hawaiian Punch

by Rahsaan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Came from the kitchen not kust room temp but very warm to the touch with glasses straight from the freezer. Does as anything say trouble more than that?

Yes, that is off-putting and does not inspire confidence. But kudos to you for soldiering on through the tough times :wink:

What are the local beverages? Some sort of alcohol?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:46 am

Wow, excuse my errors--hate phone-posting for that reason.

Honestly, had that bottle been a rep of almost any other region, I'd have refused it as flawed but the ripe cactus thing wasn't wasn't wrong for what it was.

Wine's quite accepted here. This particular restaurant just plays to less demanding palates--surprising to me given the restaurant's reputation, both here and even more so on the Big Island.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:01 am

Jenise wrote:Wine's quite accepted here. This particular restaurant just plays to less demanding palates--surprising to me given the restaurant's reputation, both here and even more so on the Big Island.

Yes, I know such wine service can exist everywhere!

But still, even if you *can* find good wine situations, there must be local/traditional drinks aside from fruit juice?!?
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Jenise wrote:... Fruit reminds of cactus pear. ....

Prickly pear juice actually sounds pretty good, and probably a better choice than Meiomi on the beach.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Anything's better than Meomi!

Btw, another reference for the Austerity pinot was some I've had from Chile. This had the same weirdness.