The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

January Wine Focus: Grenache and Garnacha!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: January Wine Focus: Grenache and Garnacha!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Seen some Usseglio Cdr on the shelf here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Chaim, I want that wine.

Andrew, thanks for participating. I especially appreciate your breakdown of three main styles in your initial post. I had not taken the time to . The term "Mediterranean pinot noir" will come in handy in a few months. I do large tastings in my neighborhood (80ish attendees each time) and am going to do a origin-nonspecific GSM Breakdown tasting wherein four tables of wine feature one of the three component grapes and the fourth is blends to show how they all work together.

I will invariably need to include a Spanish grenache. The last time, about three-four years ago, that I tried to buy grenache here (I live in coastal northwestern Washington state) at my town's best wine store, in spite of the fact that grenache is made here in our thriving wine industry (including by top and highly collectible producer Cayuse) there was not a single bottle of local grenache available. Why? As the proprietor explained it, the only people who ask for it are bottom feeders looking for cheap, agreeable wine. So he had a few $10 Spanish garnachas but not else in store. I'm going to that same store later today for a sherry tasting--will be interesting to find out if anything's changed (not counting on it).

But I personally love the grape. When there's sufficient acidity and body to support the spice, I'm in love.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:08 pm

So, back from the sherry tasting. And indeed, my friend had two Washington State grenaches on the shelf! But interestingly, one of them, a very good new winery concentrating on affordable end of the fine wine sector, say $20-30 vs. $30-50, describes it's wine on the front label as 'garnacha' instead of grenache.

In the meantime, here are two grenaches from my stash that we opened last weekend for a roast chicken dinner and guests:

2007 Mas Doix Priorat Salanques Grenache Blend, Grenache
Chosen to pair with a one-year older 100% grenache from CdP. Surprisingly youthful, required decanting to catch up with the other wine, which it never fully did. Huge fruit, firm tannins, red and black fruit, cassia bark, bay leaf, oak evident but notably not (showing as) American. If I had other bottles, would leave alone another three years and plan to drink over the next 7-10.

2006 Tardieu-Laurent Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Spéciale Grenache
A better bottle than our last in September. Perfectly mature and eminently drinkable with notes of pomegranate and other red berries, rhubarb and old furniture dust. Held up well over a three hour dinner. Based on this bottle, I'd say drink by 2022.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:45 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Seen some Usseglio Cdr on the shelf here.

Bob, I am aware of at least two CndP estates with the Usseglio family name, both Raymond and Pierre. Pierre is probably the better known and distributed but does not necessarily have the better wines.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:35 am

Tempranillo, Garnacha blend>>>
I enjoyed the 2011 Muga Prado Enea GR at a tasting downtown last night. 3hr decant, light cherry color. Subtle oak, blackberry, prunish. Cherry and nice savoury spice. Fine tannins, hint of sweetness. But $90 Cdn.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:17 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Chaim - you nearly killed me with the 1980s being 4 decades ago. :cry:

I nearly died myself. I downloaded 'old' Fantastic Four comics from the early 80's and I can't quite get over the fact that they're 'old'. Twice as old as the classic run from the 60's that was legendary when I read the 80's stuff.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 pm

IMG_1005.JPG

Since Tim was talking about him: guy on the left--that's Ray Usseglio.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:49 am

Great Grenache notes all round here! Here is a real gem for under $22 Cdn.

2016 Vintae Proyecto La Garnacha Salvaje Espana, Ribera del Quieles Sp.

Good natural cork, 14% alc, high altitude vines, 5 months french oak. Ruby red color, very nice perfumed nose with cherry, violets and some minerality. Initial entry thought is nice length, crunchy red fruits, soft tannins. Lovely berry finish, medium-bodied, fair complexity, some pepper. Raspberry, brambleberry, finish is off-dry. Hope store brings in more, will be great for my camping trips this summer.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:15 pm

Sampled a 2010 Chateau de Beaucastel over the last few night. Way too soon to open it, but it sure had class. Tons of depth. Maybe 5-10 more years for it to unfold.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Finally found and opened a Washington state grenache, the 2018 Orr Wines Grenache Columbia Valley . Includes single digit percentages of syrah and mourvedre; balanced presentation of bright red fruits, pepper and spice without noticeable oak. Good value at $25.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:10 pm

2016 I. Brand & Family Grenache Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (1/30/2020)
Clear ruby red color. Nose is all red fruit and flowers. On the palate it fans out, and adds a note of cinnamon stick and a textural creaminess. Lingering gardenia and strawberry echo from the finish, and remain present. I normally don’t much appreciate varietal Grenache, but this is lovely, complex and enticingly light bodied. That such a light touch captures so much flavor is most impressive.
Decisions are made by those who show up
Previous