The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Drinking in lockdown--changing your focus?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Drinking in lockdown--changing your focus?

by Jenise » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:01 pm

Last night I needed a wine to go with pork chops and wandered into the cellar with no particular goal, and ended up with a William Selyam from 2008. Mentally, I categorize the wines I own in essentially three loose categories you could call 'everyday', 'special occasion', and 'take to other people's houses'.

Have to admit, the prospect of Corona Virus hanging over my head really got "flattening the curve" off to an unexpected start when I went into the cellar last night. It dawned on me as I looked about my options: my special occasion is NOW. Saving for later makes no sense if there might not be a later, does it? So I opened a 12 year old William Selyam pinot.

Will this virus change your thinking, too?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Drinking in lockdown--changing your focus?

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Already has. Consecutive nights of top level Dönnhoff and then Mugneret-Gibourg - basically the prize producers in my cellar.

I would have dug out something really crazy by now (e.g. Guigal LaLa or Raveneau Grand Cru Chablis), except that due to my recent surgery I am not allowed to lift cases of wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Way to go, David, way to go.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:22 pm

Not yet. I already had the wines queued up for the next few weeks.

But, I don't have the most extensive cellar. Probably a few months of wines that could be drunk now, and then after that I could keep drinking for a year or so, but the wines would all be shutdown. Not exactly the most pressing problem in the face of a global pandemic, but one more ramification of these bizarre times!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:52 pm

I just ordered a liter of bourbon and a fifth of rye and had it delivered to my door in an hour. Delightful new Kentucky law allows that. :mrgreen: I'm also thinking it might not be bad to open a decent Gigondas that I've had around here for a while.
no avatar
User

jelana.smith

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:28 pm

by jelana.smith » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:26 pm

I am very new to wine but I love it so much. So far I have less than 10 bottles so it gives me less options to choose from but I have one bottle left from a winery that is no longer in business so I am hesitant to open it knowing I cant get another later. But everything else is just the luck of the draw.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:58 pm

As my wife and I drink a bottle a day we are good for the next 2-3 years but I only have a case of 2000 Bordeaux at my home cellar and I am about to dive into them. If I run low I can always run to Athens Oh. and pick up more gems. Bottom line...I am drinking better starting recently but it is a shame to drink some 2016 Ch-n-du Pape but Oh Well ! There are bigger problems out there !
no avatar
User

Dave Guimond

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:29 am

by Dave Guimond » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Yes. I found myself opening a bottle (2007 Jasmin Cote Rotie) the other night that likely would have been cellared a few more years and opened on a "special" occasion (themed tasting with others, anniversary, birthday etc...). I haven't cellared much high-end wine the past dozen years, but still have several cases of better bottles from the 90's and early 2000's that I'd rather drink than leave to my heirs. They can have the money, but I want to drink the wine! 8)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:35 pm

andrew.cesso wrote: For sure the wines that you keep to take to friends house will have to stay at your home for the nearest future but it doesn't mean that you stop enjoying wines yourself.

Yes, absolutely. We haven't stopped enjoying wine. The "other people's house" item is just recognition that where my tastes are more European, my neighbors who are a lot less geeky lean almost 100% new world and I do end up with wines more suited to their tastes so reserve them for that purpose.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 pm

There are a number of discussions about this across the net. I mentioned above that I am grabbing stuff from favorite producers. The last several nights have actually found me not “looking for the good stuff.” I had some time to think about it the last couple of weeks, and realized that 98% of what’s in my cellar is “good stuff.”

I have been careful about what I buy over the last decade plus. I don’t end up with many “what the heck do I do with this” wines.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 am

Slightly off topic. A lot of wineries and retailers are offering big discounts. One of the biggest retailers was in such a rush preparing the discounts that they made a lot of mistakes in the pricing. The offered the Paolo Scavin Bric del Fiasc at 35% off and as a result, it was actually priced lower than the Monvigliero, which is usually the lower priced wine and which was also on sale. I'm almost sure that was a mistake. What I'm sure was a mistake is that I ordered the Rene Roastaing Ampodium for about 70 dollars (instead of the usually 100+ price around here) and the sent me the Landonne, which they price at 250+. I felt it would be wrong of me to expose the delivery guy to further possible Corona contagion, so it's still here...

Anyway, wound up paying less than 200 dollars for about 500 dollars worth of premium wine.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:25 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I have been careful about what I buy over the last decade plus. I don’t end up with many “what the heck do I do with this” wines.

Similar. I was looking last night for something to gift to a non-geek, something "easy" that wouldn't be "over her head". Wasn't much to choose from.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 pm

Focus? Who can focus with all this drinking? :D

Most of our REALLY "good stuff" is still in Chicago, so, no, not a lot of change in focus here. I could splurge on some slightly more expensive bottles from Cellar d'Or when we next stock up, or have something shipped from CA.... but we're also trying to give away what we're not spending on dining out, since we're still stably employed (knock wood).
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Just grabbed a half bottle of 2002 Clos de Lambrays for tonight.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:48 am

We took the opportunity of wiping the dust off a generous gift from a while back yesterday, and I'm not sorry at all.

Famille Perrin 2015 "La Gille" Gigondas ($39)

This delicious Gigondas is a clear garnet color, dark all the way to the edge. Full of ripe yet elegant raspberry and herbal aromas that evoke the scents of Provence, it is drinking very nicely right now. Firm acidity and soft tannins form a sturdy framework for luscious red-berry and fresh herbal flavors. It carries its 14.5 percent alcohol well, with no sign of heat or harshness in its long finish; nor does its discreet use of oak intrude on its flavor. An excellent wine, well suited when scary times prompt a wish for comfort. U.S. importer: Vineyard Brands, Birmingham, Ala. (March 26, 2020)

FOOD MATCH: The producer suggests lamb, and I would advise roasting or grilling a lamb leg for the ideal carnivorous match. For a meatless pairing, try a traditional pasta Alfredo made with Parmigiano-Reggiano.

WHEN TO DRINK: Like its cousin Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Gigondas can age well for 15 years, provided you keep it stored on its side under good cellar conditions, at a constant cool temperature; 55F (13C) is optimal. It typically goes through a "shy" period, though, so this 2015 may show even better frin 2024 forward if you have the facilities for cellaring. Don't worry, though, this bottle is fine now, as I would expect of the available 2016 and 2017 vintages.

VALUE:
This bottle was a gift of unknown price, butWine-Searcher.com lists a $33 average U.S. retail for all vintages through 2017, and a $39 price tag on the 2015. It's above my everyday price range, but well worth a price in the $30s for a special occasion.

WEB LINK
Famille Perrin, the producer, offers this quick fact sheet on the 2015 "La Gille" Gigondasat this link.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Check prices and find vendors forFamille Perrin 2015 "La Gille" Gigondas on Wine-Searcher.com.

Read about Famille Perrin and browse aprice and vendor list of all its wines at this link

Follow this Wine-Searcher link to find listings for dozens of other wines from Gigondas.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:29 pm

I've been on a petit chateau Bordeaux kick, looking at some 2000 2001, 2005 or so wines that are drinking nicely now. Also been thinking of starting in on some Chiantis I've had for awhile.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to open anything really special as I am under orders to save such things to share with a certain lady (who started this thread). :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:31 pm

Heck man, open what you like!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:38 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Unfortunately, I have been unable to open anything really special as I am under orders to save such things to share with a certain lady (who started this thread). :mrgreen:

:)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:06 pm

I too am thinking it's time to open some special wines...

I had a classed growth claret last night I might have kept longer.

I'm thinking that during this lockdown 'll be making space in my storage and (let's hope) I come through it, then I'll have space to put new buys. I've been so tempted by offers in the past few months but resisted because I had no room.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:20 pm

Haven't really changed anything, but more time at home means I can see what needs to be drunk sooner rather than later, so you could say I'm culling more.