Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

High praise for California Olive Ranch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

High praise for California Olive Ranch

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:27 am

I need to give a shout-out to this company because of the great customer service I received from them. I had a new bottle of olive oil and when I went to open it, the top would not budge. I ran it under hot water, (because that always works for me) but nope, not budging. I asked Gene to give it a try, he has large, strong hands, He tried several times, nothing. I decided to give the ranch a call and told them my issue. She told me they had the same issue reported a few times, and asked for the numbers and dates on the bottle so they could do further checking. I was to be sent a voucher for another bottle. When I asked if they could just send me another bottle of the same weight, she said with the voucher, I could apply it to a larger bottle of the oil if I desired.
The voucher arrived in two days. Since I am a person who never gives up on issues, I decided to give it one last try. I used my instant hot water unit at the sink and held it under there for a long time. Then I used a damp paper towel and gave it one good twist, and guess what, it released!
The lady warned me to be careful about messing with it because they did not want anyone getting hurt from the sharp metal lid. She was polite and helpful and I was very happy with the results. It is great everyday olive oil, and their garlic-infused is crazy good.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: High praise for California Olive Ranch

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:23 pm

COR EVOO is supposed to be very good, although you should buy the single source version. I wouldn't buy the multi-sourced version.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 pm

COR EVOO is my go-to olive oil. I prefer the California-only versions, but around here they're becoming increasingly hard to find. The multi-source versions are excellent, too, and I use them a lot in cooking. And at least COR are upfront about where the stuff comes from--none of the "Spanish OO bottled in Italy" hanky-panky.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:35 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:COR EVOO is supposed to be very good, although you should buy the single source version. I wouldn't buy the multi-sourced version.

I do not know what you mean by a single source, versus multi-sourced?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:34 pm

Originally all of California Olive Ranch's olive oil was exclusively made from olives grown in California. But a few years ago they introduced their "Global Blend" line of oils from olives imported from Argentina, Chile, and Portugal as well as California olives. At the time they said that they did this to insure a more steady and reliable supply of olives. They still produce a line of oils from 100% California olives. To their credit, they are very up front about all this. The front label says either "100% California" or "Global Blend" and the four sources for the global blend are prominently displayed.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:41 pm

I'm also a fan with the same caveat Paul points out. I also recall that I used to find multiple levels--mild to "robust" and something in between--which I don't see much of now. I loved the robust version though I always also have a more neutral version on hand as one size doesn't fit all. Speaking of EVOO I bought a real cool bottle of Italian EVOO at Costco the other day, different bottle glass than I've ever seen before. Looks very artisinal, though I know I shouldn't fall for looks. But all the same I took a chance and bought two, after all I was stocking up on toilet paper in the same visit. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:08 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:COR EVOO is supposed to be very good, although you should buy the single source version. I wouldn't buy the multi-sourced version.

I do not know what you mean by a single source, versus multi-sourced?

As you saw below, multi-sourced is a blend from several countries. Multi-sourced EVOO is cheaper = cheaper olives.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks, I had no idea. I checked my bottle and it says 100% California.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Next time you're at the grocery store, you may find the multi-version. COR lists the countries on the front label.