The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1556

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:49 am

Location

Canberra, Australia

Pre-thread Message

by David Lole » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:20 am

G'day Robin et al,

Just saw the new site was up and running. This phpBB software is much more user friendly (same as the two main Aussie wine forums). Hoping to post more often here in future.
Cheers,

David
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Posts

17552

Joined

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:How does one print off here?


Bob, at a glance, it appears to me that one can only print the entire page, by using File > Print from your main Windows menu. Of course, it's always possible to select, copy and paste desired text into Notepad or Word or equivalent, then format and print from there.

But it does not seem to be possible to print a single message or group of messages from a page.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

265

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Location

New York, NY

Fantastic news!

by Manuel Camblor » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Robin,

This is the best news I've received in weeks. Well done. While I had less trouble with the Netscape format than many others seemed to, I must say I never could make myself ocmfortable on that forum. Something just didn't resonate.

Let's hope this one will do the trick. Congratulations o na great decision.

Oh, and I would beleive "The Fish" is Jean Fisch. I resisted using "The Latin Liquidator", though, by my signature, you'll notice that identity is still pretty much on.
Best,

LL
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Posts

17552

Joined

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Re: Fantastic news!

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:This is the best news I've received in weeks. Well done. While I had less trouble with the Netscape format than many others seemed to, I must say I never could make myself ocmfortable on that forum. Something just didn't resonate.

Let's hope this one will do the trick. Congratulations on a great decision.


Thanks, buddy! And you know we could still do that thing we talked about a while back very easily on this platform ...

Manuel Camblor wrote:Oh, and I would beleive "The Fish" is Jean Fisch. I resisted using "The Latin Liquidator", though, by my signature, you'll notice that identity is still pretty much on.


Yah, I figured that out seconds after I asked the Piscine One. I thought I edited that in.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

265

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Location

New York, NY

That "thing..."

by Manuel Camblor » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:53 pm

It's still a possibility, that thing. But for the future. At the moment I am beset by all sorts of worky-like things and some unexpected health issues that I need to deal with.

But you know I never let go of that idea and have been trying to find ways to make it work ever since we first talked about it. A WLDG "en español" would eb a lovely venue.

M.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26965

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Hi, y'all!

by Jenise » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:41 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Well, I'm here. (Now--that's no cause for the rest of you to run away!) :D


Paul, good to see you. And a question--I emailed a bunch of people yesterday, including you, from Netscape's PM service, and a handful got bounced. I'm trying to figure out which those were, in two cases the email name isn't recognizable to me. One I thought might be yours, but here you are anyway. Did you get my email?--it will help me narrow down the remaining options.
User avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

822

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 pm

Location

Livermore, CA

Pre-thread Message

by wnissen » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:How does one print off here?


Bob, at a glance, it appears to me that one can only print the entire page, by using File > Print from your main Windows menu. Of course, it's always possible to select, copy and paste desired text into Notepad or Word or equivalent, then format and print from there.

But it does not seem to be possible to print a single message or group of messages from a page.

Robin and Bob,
It's quite easy to print a message or three. Simply select the messages you want to print with the mouse, as if you were going to copy them. Then, go to the Print menu and there should be something like "Print Range." Click on the option for "Print selection." Now, click "Print." Only the text and graphics you have selected will be printed.

I do this all the time to get "clean" copies of recipes and articles without all the junk. This works on Firefox and IE6, that is, virtually any modern browser.

Walt
Walter Nissen
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Posts

17552

Joined

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:20 pm

wnissen wrote:It's quite easy to print a message or three. Simply select the messages you want to print with the mouse, as if you were going to copy them. Then, go to the Print menu and there should be something like "Print Range." Click on the option for "Print selection." Now, click "Print." Only the text and graphics you have selected will be printed.


Most excellent! Thanks, Walt. I rarely if ever make printouts, so I'm not good at giving printer advice.
User avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Posts

1188

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:27 pm

Location

Buellton, CA

Re: Fantastic news!

by John Tomasso » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thanks, buddy! And you know we could still do that thing we talked about a while back very easily on this platform ...



Hey you guys. Get a room for pete's sake. :lol:
User avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

50

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:27 pm

Location

Seattle, WA

Hurrah

by Eric LeVine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:29 pm

Hurrah, good to be back. I am going to get that CellarTracker posting working here ASAP!
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

164

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:36 am

Location

Central Pennsylvania

Pre-thread Message

by Steve Guattery » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
A question: is there any way to specify the width of the text display?


Steve, I don't think there's a direct way to do it, but here's a possible workaround: Go to Profile, and somewhere near the bottom of the page, either right above or right below the avatars, there's a choice item for Styles... some of them may have a more narrow forum display. One for sure, called PhpBBlite (I think) is a very, very spartan setup that I'm certain would fit.


Quick update: most of the styles are variable-width. The two exceptions are iCGstation and litemetal. I don't like phpBBlite much: Half the screen is the menu block, so only half the screen holds the messages, and only half of that is message text, so the messages end up long and skinny. However, the rest of the styles work just fine.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10527

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

This place is starting to look familiar

by James Roscoe » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:11 pm

Robin is running the show. Many of the people from the old WDLG are back. Maybe even Coad will deign to put in an appearance every now and then. As long as we have Paul B. to keep us on our toes, we'll be fine. I see even Paulo from Philly is back. I'm so happy. :D (That's the last time I use one of those! How cheesey!)
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

105

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:53 pm

Location

Detroit, MI

Er, hello?

by Steve Kirsch » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:02 pm

Got my invite today, and thanks, Robin. Looking forward to getting back into the mix.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Posts

17552

Joined

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Re: Er, hello?

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Steve Kirsch wrote:Looking forward to getting back into the mix.


Great, Steve! We'll be eager to hear what you've been drinking of late.
User avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Posts

9721

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Pre-thread Message

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:51 pm

wnissen wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:How does one print off here?


Bob, at a glance, it appears to me that one can only print the entire page, by using File > Print from your main Windows menu. Of course, it's always possible to select, copy and paste desired text into Notepad or Word or equivalent, then format and print from there.

But it does not seem to be possible to print a single message or group of messages from a page.

Robin and Bob,
It's quite easy to print a message or three. Simply select the messages you want to print with the mouse, as if you were going to copy them. Then, go to the Print menu and there should be something like "Print Range." Click on the option for "Print selection." Now, click "Print." Only the text and graphics you have selected will be printed.

I do this all the time to get "clean" copies of recipes and articles without all the junk. This works on Firefox and IE6, that is, virtually any modern browser.

Walt


I have a question Walt or whoever. I seem to have changed the colour of the setup here. How do I reset this colour to what I want?
Regarding the printing, I am not too computer savvy. How does one select? Then you mention the "print menu..where is that? Also at the top here, what is "List" "List=" "Img". Also is there a way of getting a response to all my posts or do i just click onto bottom here...."notify me when a reply is posted". Do I have to do that with every post?
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Posts

17552

Joined

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:58 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I have a question Walt or whoever.


Bob, I'm just sitting down to dinner, but wanted to let you know that we hear ya, buddy! I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can later this evening, if one of our other gang doesn't beat me to it.
User avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

3328

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Location

Auckland, New Zealand

Pre-thread Message

by Neil Courtney » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Bob, to reset your colour scheme, click on 'Profile' at the top of the screen and change the 'Board Style' selection in the drop down list. Click 'Submit' at the bottom of the page (under the Avitar Control Panel) and it will change the colours and screen layout. Some of them are not very nice....

To select text for printing, click the mouse (left button) where you want to start the selection, and without lifting your finger, move the mouse to the end of the text you want and it will then be highlighted.

Or you can click the mouse at the start of the text that you want, move the mouse pointer to the end, and left click again WHILE HOLDING the SHIFT key down. This gets all text between the two mouse click positions.

The to print it. On your browser menu line, click File, then click Print... which will be about half way down the menu list. In the popup box that appears, at the bottom left of the box, click on the Radio button labeled Selection, then click Print. A Radio button will only allow you to select a single button from withing a group of buttons. Click Print. Jobs a good 'un.
Last edited by Neil Courtney on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
User avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Posts

4164

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Location

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Hi, y'all!

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Jenise wrote:Did you get my email?--it will help me narrow down the remaining options.


Yes, I did get your email.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

51

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:44 pm

Location

CA Bay Area

Pre-thread Message

by John DeFiore » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:33 am

Hi All,

Glad to see everyone. I do like the feel of this forum more, though I hope we do get threaded sometime in the future. I definitely don't visit the new forum as much as I did the old; I'm not sure why that is. It wasn't a conscious decision, but somehow the old forum was like sitting around in your living room with friends, the new one was more like the tasting room at V. Sattui at the height of the tourist season. Lots of distractions, hard to get around, etc. This seems like a quieter place, I'll have to drop in more often.

Thanks, Robin!

John
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Posts

17552

Joined

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:41 am

John DeFiore wrote:I'll have to drop in more often.


We'll take you up on that, John! Good to see you.

(V. Sattui, mutter mutter mutter)
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

76

Joined

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:12 am

Location

Charleston, SC

Pre-thread Message

by Carl K » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:40 am

Just finally got a chance to check my e-mail. So glad to see the new digs. Like many, I was finding the Netscape forums uncomfortable, yet I could never really say why. I think John hit it on the head when he compared the Netscape digs to a formal tasting room.
User avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Posts

9721

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

How to use the forum.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:58 am

Robin, I was trying some things out last night on the "how to use the forum".
The post is not there this morning/ What happened? There were some questions there as I was entering!
User avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1725

Joined

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:46 pm

Location

Puget Sound

Pre-thread Message

by Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Just finally got a chance to check my e-mail. So glad to see the new digs.


Hey, Karl, good to see you found us. Lot's better, eh?
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

182

Joined

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 pm

Location

The Netherlands

Fantastic!

by Bonnie in Holland » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:40 pm

Robin, this is a super step forward! I wasn't a fan of the Netscape forums but this looks just great. Thanks very much, as I missed the old WLDG forums. My thanks as well to Randy Resnick for letting me know!
cheers, Bonnie
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign